Thursday, March 5, 2015

Thrifty Shopping in Chico

March 5, 2015

This week's bee busy winding down from exams and gearing up for Spring Break! In my quest for an agtourism job, I scheduled some interviews in Hawaii and began my quest for some affordable additions to my wardrobe. I wanted to find some classic, comfortable, and professional outfits to wear to tours that I will be participating in before applying to some of the jobs I am interested in. I will also have preset interviews with private, public, and corporate businesses. I had visited Kohls,  JcPennys, and Kmart and purchased two pairs of black slacks ($40), a business jacket ($35), and black dress shoes ($12).



My Thrift Tour
My first stop was to "Thrifty Bargain". They're located at Esplanade and east Avenue in a large sized building/warehouse. They have appliances, dishes, furniture, clothes, shoes, and accessories. Their clothes are organized by type and color. I located an aqua blue top that I thought would be great for me to wear over a shirt on a breezy day while participating in tours on Coffee Farms and Honey Farms. I went there on a Thursday when everything store wide is half off. I purchased the top for $1.25.


My next stop was "GoodWill". They're located near Mangrove and East Ave on the back portion of the old mall in Chico. They have household goods, many purses, shoes, pet supplies, and name brand clothing. I was quite surprised with the selection of tops, sweaters, scarves, and purses. I tried on a few dozen items and purchased around 8 items. I located two dress shirts that I could conduct corporate interviews in, one's gray and the other a dark purple, both with rhinestones. I also purchased a slim black purse to wear to my interviews. In addition, I picked up a few knit cardigans and scarves because you can never have too many of those especially when the scarves were only a dollar or two. I spent under $20 for 5 items so the average price was $4 for an item. I specifically recall the scarves at $2 each and the purse was $2.50.


My final stop this week was "The Ark Thrift Store" located on Park Ave near 20th Street in Chico. They have lots of quality used furniture, bikes, household goods, and some name brand clothing. I was not particularly impressed with their clothing selection even though they boast "we wont sell it if we wont wear it". I though most of the items should be in a free bin. I did notice that any name brand or upscale items were pre-selected and placed at the front of the store. I still found nothing in my size so I decided to check should before I gave up. During that time, a purse that appeared to be upscale caught my eye but it had no price and there was a clutch marked at $1.25 so I grabbed that as well and headed to the front. Turns out the purse was $2.50 so that plus the clutch at $1.25 was a little over $4 with tax.



















No comments:

Post a Comment